Building Regulations

From explanatory booklet to a register of approved inspectors, whether you’re going for full permission first, or working under a “Building Notice” this page will help you avoid the pitfalls.

Building Regulation Compliance

Whether or not you need planning permission, unless you are only erecting a shed, garden chalet, car port, or other demountable structure, you will most likely need building regulation approval.


The first pitfall to avoid is not properly understanding the increased ‘sustainability’ requirements imposed by the Building Regulations 2010, Check that they have been provided for in the design and specification for your converted, remodelled, renovated, or additional building,.


Working under a ‘Building Notice’

Since in some cases it may not be possible to decide exact building details in advance, you can start building works providing you notify your local Building Control office that building has commenced.  If you do, your main contractor – and ultimately you, – must take full responsibility for ensuring that the construction works fully comply with the building regulations.  

To avoid problems with the authorities, do as the Government recommends, and ensure that whoever is responsible for your building is properly qualified.  Also, if you proceed under a building notice, ensure that accurate details are recorded, transcribed, and drawn up for submission and subsequent approval so that the property can be occupied.


Regular Professional Inspection

Whether you obtain approval before work on site starts, or proceeds under a building notice, you must still have them regularly inspected by an approved independent person during construction.  As noted, when all the ‘as built’ details are known you will have to submit detailed construction drawings and structural engineering calculations for these works.     

Don’t forget to appoint an approved building inspector before your start building, and don’t let subsequent building works cover up anything that has not been inspected and approved. Your local Building Control Office can carry out this work for you, or you can select a private  independent inspector for your area from the Construction Industry Council’s Approved Inspectors Register

Contact Us for further help Click here to submit your enquiry online, or Call +44 01291 437050
Log Cabins, Garden Rooms and Garden Offices Solid Timber Self Assembly Modular System Building News Articles Products Help and Advice Home Offices - Regal Garden Offices by Benfield ATT design, engineering, extensions, conversions, new builds, panels, sips and i-beams by simply self build Surveys, Assesments, Design & Engineering, Eco specifications, Project management by TimberTecs Timber Frame House Estate Agents Timber Frame House Designs

Get an instant estimate using our online calculators below. They are FREE and fun to use !

Cost Calculators Information Centre

Get inspiration for your own Timber Frame Designs by browsing our Galleries below

Design Centre